That's because MKV is just a container format, holding video, audio, image or subtitle files in it. The video and audio files in different MKV files can be encoded with different codecs. For example, an MKV file with DTS audio can't be rendered on Rift DK2 in Oculus Cinema.
To fix the problem, the effective and simple way is to change MKV to a fully compatible format with Rift DK2. To finish the task, you can adopt iFastime Video Converter Ultimate for help. (Read review)
This program features high efficiency and seamless conversion. With it, you don't need to know what is the audio or video codec in the MKV format that'll be best for your Rift DK2. You just need to choose the among the optimized presets for 3D devices and this program will do the rest for you. Side by Side, Red/Blue and Top/Bottom 3D effects are all provided for you. A while later, the video conversion will be finished and you'll be able to watch the awesome 2D/3D MKV media content on Rift DK2 in 3D effects without having to compromise on the quality. Moreover, this App can deal with all most video formats, like 2D MTS, MXF, MOV, MP4, AVI .etc and 3D YIFY, 3D YouTube, Blu-ray, DVD, DVD/Blu-ray ISO etc. besides MKV.
Just download, install and launch this great Rift DK2 video converter and then follow the tutorial to play the MKV file on your Rift DK2 smoothly. If you're runing a Mac, please turn to Mac version, which has the same function with the Windows version.
Free Download MKV to Oculus Rift DK2 Converter for Win/Mac:
- Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/windows/ifastime/3260-20_4-10440988-1.html
- Soft32 Download: http://www.soft32.com/publishers/ifastime/
- Top 4 Download: http://www.top4download.com/ifastime/index79230-0.html
- Best Software 4 Download: http://www.bestsoftware4download.com/a-ifastime-83610-software.html
Step 1. Import MKV files
Click "Add video" button on the top of the main interface to import the MKV videos to the program. You also can drag the files to the App directly.
Step 2. Select compatible format
Navigate the Format bar and follow the path “3D Video > MP4 Side-by-Side 3D Video (*.mp4)” for converting MKV to Rift DK2 for playback.
Step 3. Set parameters: (Optional)
If you need, you can go to "Settings" to select the video parameters like Video&Audio Bitrate, Video Size, Frame rate, Audio Channels and 3D depth to meet your personal demands. Please remember that the higher bitrate and the larger video size, the larger output video you will get.
And since DK2's screen has been upgraded to an OLED model running 1920 x 1080, or 960 x 1080 per eye, which is precisely 2.25x more pixels, you can set video size to “1929 * 1080”.
Step 4: Start MKV to Rift DK2 conversion
After you have done all the settings, return to the main interface to hit "Start conversion" button to start 2D/3D MKV to Rift DK2 3D MP4 conversion.When the conversion is finished, you can transfer the converted movies to Oculus Rift DK2 for enjoying in Oculus Cinema without any hassles.
In order to have the wonderful 3D home theatre experience, two extra things we need are VR Player and media player. And how to set up?
Here we go:
1. Download and install VLC Player
2. Download and install VR Player
3. You then need to download the DK2 Tracker (Hosted here case it is removed from where I got it from) for motion tracking with the player
4. Expand the .zip and copy to the following location (or wherever you installed VR Player): C:Program Files (x86)VR PlayerTrackers
5. Open up VR player and set the tracker that you just copied as follows:
Depending on the content you wish to view you have a few options. Here are some examples:
1. Set up Oculus as extended Desktop the Rift Display Mode program
2. Ensure your windows monitor is setup so your rift is secondary.
3. For 3D movies such as Big Hero 6:
Menu - Media - Format - Side By Side
Menu - Media - Projection - Plane
4. If your movie is not 3D
Menu - Media - Format - Mono
Menu - Media - Projection - Plane
5. To open a movie select:
Menu - File - Open File - With VLC
6. Browse to your selected movie.
7. Now that the movie is running you need to move the video screen onto your Oculus screen.
In my case the Oculus is my second monitor to the left. So I hit these keys:
Hit Windows Key + Cursor Key Left (Do this twice, this moves the window to your Oculus)
Hit Windows Key + Cursor Key Up (This maximizes the window)
Put on headphones and enjoy!
Have more questions about how to fix MKV and Oculus Rift Developers Kit Dk2 Incompatibility Issues, please feel free to contact us>> or leave a message at Facebook.
- Watch Any 3D YouTube on Google Cardboard via iOS/Android
- Can I watch 3D movies on Android smartphones?
- Backup 3D Blu-ray ISO on Windows 10
- Convert 2D Christmas Disney movies to 3D MKV for enjoyment
- How to Open 3D Movies with VLC
- Best Virtual Reality Movie List
- Top VR Video Converter- Convert a movie to VR Format